Many companies are integrating ergonomics as deeply as possible into their daily operations because they already understand the benefits that can be received from these devices. From reducing workers’ compensation and health care costs to improving productivity the number of benefits you can receive from implementing an ergonomic solution are practically limitless.
Let’s discuss the Top 5 benefits of implementing a strong workplace ergonomics process:
(1) Reducing Costs: When you start to systematically reduce the number of ergonomic risk factors that are present in your day-to-day operations, you can prevent costly injuries and musculoskeletal disorders. An interesting fact to note is that indirect costs caused by injuries can be up to twenty times the cost of the direct cost of an injury.
(2) Improved Productivity: Companies often install an ergonomic solution with the intent of improving productivity. Material handling devices allow workers to maintain better posture, reduce exertion, require fewer motions and allow them to work at heights that are better suited to their bodies. These factors lead to one distinctive conclusion… enhanced productivity.
(3) Improved Quality: When the ergonomics within your facility is poor, employees are unable to work their best. This often leads to poor production levels and poor workmanship, which will affect the overall quality of the products / services you are trying to provide.
(4) Improved Employee Engagement: Employees cannot help but notice when a company is putting forth their best efforts to ensure staff health and safety. When an employee does not feel fatigue and discomfort during the workday, it can help reduce the amount of employee turnover, decrease absenteeism, improve morale and increase overall employee involvement.
(5) Improved Safety Culture: We have spoken about the importance of forming and nurturing a safety culture within your business in previous blog posts, and implementing ergonomics within your business is one of the best ways you can do this. When companies implement an ergonomic solution such as a roll handling unit or a drum and barrel handling unit it demonstrates that the company values the health and safety of its employees. Healthy employees are your most valuable asset. They are the ones you depend on to keep your company moving. By creating a strong health and safety culture within your company, you will be able to lead your workers to perform better for your organization.
Reduced costs, improved productivity, better employee engagement and cultivating a safety culture are just some of the important reasons why organizations invest in ergonomic material handling solutions.
Please share your thoughts in the comment section below!